Thursday, January 23, 2014

Petunias and Potato Vine

I love colour...  don't you?

This week I took some time to play around with my Derwent Inktense coloured pencils.  It's been a long time since I've used them and it felt good to sketch with them again.

.
I'm calling this piece "Petunias and Potato Vine" because these fuchsia petunias were growing amongst chartreuse green potato vines.  The contrast between the colours is what I was hoping to capture.

The Inktense pencil was laid down dry, wetted with a water brush, and accented with some additional dry pencil.  It was sketched in my 5" x 9" sketch book the pages of which aren't really meant for water media... hence the paper is a little buckled.  I may do recreate the piece on heavier paper... we'll see.  For now I'm happy with how this turned out and am linking it to Jenn's "The Artist's Play Room" over at the blog "Just Add Water Silly".  Pop on over and check out the work of other artist!

So, what fun creative things have you been working on... ?
: )  Fern


5 comments:

  1. oooh, this is so happy and vibrant! I want more!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nini! I like that you see it as a happy piece. :)

      Delete
  2. love love love! are inktense pencils water soluble? like a watercolour pencil? thx for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy :) Yes, the Derwent Inktense coloured pencils are water soluble - just like watercolour pencils. The difference is that the Inktense pencils, once they dry after you've wet brushed them, are more permanent than regular watercolours or watercolour pencils. That works so well if you want to add a layer of colour without disturbing the colours below. I hope you have a chance to try them one day.

      Delete
  3. hi Fern, lovely to see you on Sketchbook Skool. Now at least I know someone else in Klass!! I'm half way through Danny's videos, trying to decide what "shoes" I'm gonna draw, hehehe. I don't have any knarly shoes though so I'll have to hunt other stuff. Hope to see you around, gosh, maybe we can eat lunch in the lunch room together, lol. Hope you're loving it too!

    ReplyDelete